Mong Kok


Riding the Double-decker bus seems like a more exciting idea than taking the MTR all the time. We didn’t get the chance to get to the upper deck when we rode the A21 bus from the airport because the driver was in a roller coaster mode. “C” wanted to go to Mong Kok so we hopped on the 234x KMB bus from Peninsula Hotel bus stop, used our Octopus cards. Alighted at Shan Tung Street Bus Stop and we walked towards Mong Kok MTR station. Crossed over to the other side using the MTR subway and explored the wonders of Mong Kok. Hooray!


Tip #3: Never ever ask for the price of an item without the intention of buying it. What we normally do is ask for the price and compare but in Mong Kok things can get nasty. They have a different way of negotiating. Here’s my story. We were scouting for souvenirs and saw a set of key chains. I asked the lady attendant for the price and she said HK$100 for 6 and I said “Thank You” and turned my back. She immediately grabs my left hand and said she can give it to me at HK$30. I said “No, Thank you”. She held my hand tighter. I was getting scared this time. I’ve read stories and they’re not that pleasing. I kept on saying “No, Thank you” and after the third attempt, she let go. Oh Boy! I thought I was going to lose my watch or worst, my hand.

We bought souvenir T-shirts at 5 for HK$100. The quality and sometimes the size aren’t consistent with their sample display and they won’t allow you to open the plastic cover unless you buy it. I didn’t haggle anymore because I lost my confidence after the key chain incident.


Hui Lau Shan Healthy Dessert at Argyle corner Sai Yeung Choi Sts., Mong Kok – Ordered the H3 Crystal Jelly for HK$38 (the one I’m holding); they use coconut milk instead of evaporated milk. Yummy! The rest are just realistic plastic representation.


It was scourging hot in Mong Kok that I thought of buying at Gong Cha. Peach tea with pearl is so refreshing. Eggette or gai daan jai (translates to “little chicken eggs”) is one of the most popular “street snacks” in Hong Kong.


We ate dinner at Café de Coral, Sai Yeung Choi, Mong Kok branch before heading to The Peak because it seems to be famous and recommended by a lot of people. It was a typical quick service restaurant but what we experienced here was beyond ordinary. There was a Chinese customer, who’s shirtless and keeps going back and forth in front of the menu board while we were contemplating on what to order. I can’t remember a scenario in any fast food chain or restaurant in the Philippines that I’ve encountered such.

Well anyway, I ordered the noodles with BBQ Chicken (not the exact name, it wasn’t worth remembering) and “C” had the BBQ Combo with Rice. Their service is decent and efficient. The food was okay. The noodle soup has a strong pungent taste that I felt I was like tasting and breathing Chinese. “C” hoped her food was seasoned properly and less stench.

Now, the unforgettable CDC experienced.  Our practice is to remove our food from the serving tray, right? While we were eating and placed the tray to the nearest table, the cleaning lady came bashing at us. She lifted our food and slams it on the tray. WOW! What just happened?!? She kept speaking in Chinese. For heaven’s sake, do we look like Chinese to understand a single word she’s saying? I don’t think so. The word “excuse” does not exist in this part of the globe. Undeniably, they are cold and gruff. The city has a warm weather ironically, the people aren’t. Tip #4: Eat as if the serving tray is your placemat.

Baked Pork Chop with Rice. I like this very much… it’s like eating rice with spaghetti sauce.


No comments:

Post a Comment